PA to Director of Science at Kew Gardens
- Personal Assistant to Director of Science for the Royal Botanic Garden – Kew Gardens, London
Full time hybrid role – 3 days in the office and 2 days from home
The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew is a world-famous scientific organisation founded in 1759. Over the past 260 years, RBG Kew has been at the centre of global discovery, collection, identification, naming and ordering of all things plant and fungi related.
Kew Gardens is a leading visitor attraction and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, internationally respected for its outstanding living collection of plants and its world-class herbarium and enjoyed by 2m visitors per year.
They are looking to appoint an outstanding individual as Personal Assistant to RBG Kew’s Director of Science. The Personal Assistant will be a key member of our Senior Science Support Team, working with the existing group of PAs to other members of the Science senior management.
This role will suit those who have a strong background in supporting Executive Board level senior managers. We are looking for someone with extensive PA experience, proven ability to work on their own initiative and proactively plan, and excellent time management skills. You will also bring outstanding interpersonal skills with a proven ability to engage with people at all levels and build working relationships with stakeholders and colleagues across the organisation and externally. Must have exposure to board level support and enjoy the relationship building piece as stakeholders in this role could be high level academics, philanthropists, government officials as well and the rest of the board of Kew Gardens
To deliver RBG Kew’s mission by ensuring the Director of Science has high quality support for of his duties. The post holder acts as gatekeeper to the Director of Science and the public face of the Science Director’s arrangements with all stakeholders, internal and external including the wider RBG Kew and scientific communities, national and international institutions and committees.
The Personal Assistant liaises extensively with senior members of the Science Directorate, RBG Kew, as well as national and international organisations. The PA organises complex travel arrangements, large scale events and visits by high-level groups and individuals.
- Providing a professional and efficient personal assistant service to the Director of Science (DoS):
- Complex diary management, including hybrid meeting arrangements.
- Managing Outlook inbox dealing with emails where possible / highlighting priority urgent emails to the DoS.
- Keeping track of external speech engagements, ensuring adequate briefing is received
- Comprehensive international travel itineraries and directions.
- Preparing and distributing agendas, briefing notes and minutes of meetings as required.
- Managing any follow-up to meetings, including requests for further information.
- Support for the Science Advisory Committee
- Organisation of large meetings and events
- Working with other PAs to monitor administrative processes, ensuring efficiency at all times and proposing new and improved systems to ensure effective communication and productivity…
- Liaising with RBG Kew’s Press Office to arrange press interviews for the Director of Science.
- Arranging the programme for visitors to the Director of Science, such as potential benefactors and senior research staff.
Essential Education and experience
- Proven track record of PA support to executive level management
- Minute-taking, preparing agendas and meeting papers
- Large meeting and event organisation
- Diary management and travel planning / booking
- Ideally A-level educated or equivalent
- Project management experience